Voluntary prostitution in Nepal is neither legal nor illegal. Thousands of prostitutes work in Kathmandu, the capital city, and urban areas within Pokhara and Terai. Prostitutes can work anywhere from brothels to bars, in their homes, or on the streets. There are a number of massage parlors in Thamel, a tourist area of Kathmandu, where extra services are also provided for a fee. Another form of prostitution is in cabin restaurants and dance bars where clients go and drink with girls, and chose one to take out.
Red Light Areas
The largest Red Light Areas are the following three places:
- Thamel of Kathmandu
- Pokhara of Kaski
- Itahari of Sunsari
Besides these there are many other quasi red light areas.
- Kathmandu — capital & cultural center.
- Bhaktapur — well-preserved historical city.
- Biratnagar — this city is in eastern Nepal.
- Birgunj — business gateway between India and Nepal.
- Janakpur — a historical religious centre. Janaki Temple.
- Namche Bazaar — a Sherpa settlement.
- Nepalgunj — Bardiya National Park is close-by.
- Patan — Beautiful, historic Patan Durbar Square.
- Pokhara — picturesque lake-side town.